Monday, May 9, 2016

Food Waste Challenge

Each month I try to set a different challenge for myself. Sometimes it's a financial challenge, or to be more charitable. Some of my favorite challenges are awareness raising challenges. This month I've chosen food waste.

The United States (where I live) wastes $165 billion in food every year. That works out to 33 million tons of food, or roughly half of all the food produced in the US. Globally we actually grow enough food to feed a balanced diet to 12,000,000,000 people (that's a little less than double the current population of earth).  Meanwhile, down the road is a family that is "food insecure" (this encompasses more than just hungry, also including those that can acquire sufficient calories but not balanced nutrition).  These figures do not include food that is composted, fed to livestock, or used to generate power (through methane digestion). Also not included are waste through over consumption.  In fact the only thing included is food sent to landfills.

So far this month I have personally wasted 0lbs 0 ounces of food. No my no waste challenge will not solve global hunger, but I can choose not to contribute to the problem.

Can I keep to the 0 total? How do you challenge yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment