Thursday, May 12, 2016

How to become a minimalist

People ask me this all the time. On the surface it's easy, get rid of stuff. Realistically however, it's a bit more complicated. Here are ten tips that worked for me. What works for you will likely be different than what worked for me. Perhaps it can give you an idea of where to start.

1. Know where you are. For me, a big motivation was financial. I didn't want to hold onto a job I hated just to keep the bills paid. So the very first thing I did was come up with as accurate a picture as possible of what my financial situation was in terms of whom I owed what, etc.

2. Know where you want to be. Closely related to tip one. What are you passionate about? What is your goal? I set a short, medium, and long term goal (which I've spoken at length about elsewhere). 

3.  Make an action plan. A detailed action plan helps keep me motivated to work towards my goals. For me that included sticking with the hated job for a while.

4. Look at your possessions. The things we own. Do we own them or do they own us? I look at each possession and determine do I need it? Do I love it? Anything that meets one or both goes back in the drawer. Anything that doesn't goes in the get rid of pile.

5.  Sort your possessions. I made three piles. One for high resale value, another for yard sale (some value but not high, remainders will be donated), and trash/recycling. A very few possessions were held out to give to people for whom they hold sentimental value.

6.  Sell your stuff. I started with the pile with high resale value. I haven't had a yard sale yet, but will this summer. I'm using the money to fund my goals.

7. Look at your inner clutter. I held a lot of limiting beliefs, internalized labels, and defining experiences that didn't contribute to my well being When I removed the outer clutter, I created a space where I could unpack the internal clutter and release those things which didn't contribute to my happiness. (What, you thought minimalism was about stuff? )

8.  Look at your interpersonal relationships. Everyone has people that come into our lives, as friends or partners or family members, that journey with us for a while. Sometimes that's a lifetime, sometimes it's a shorter period. It's not socially acceptable but we need to learn to let those people go. They are on a journey of their own and need to fulfill it. You also need to fulfill your journey. Loving someone requires not wanting to hold them back. Sometimes your paths reconverge, and that is an amazing experience.

9. Don't compare yourself to other people. Other minimalists have their own levels of comfort with things, their own goals, and ultimately their own journey. This is not a race. There is no scoreboard. The Jones don't care if you are keeping up with them.

10. Remember this is a process not a destination. Rinse and repeat. I go back through steps 1-9 on a regular basis. Goals change, as do comfort levels. That's part of being human.

Again, this is what I have used in my own process. What are your steps? Please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment