Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Goals

A dear friend on Facebook asked me to write this post. It's a subject I commit to paper regularly, but not one I generally share publicly. Here goes.

My personal goals change periodically. Historically my goal has been to lead as self sufficient a life as possible. A life really rooted in natural experience with permaculture and homesteading, all designed at lowering my effect on the environment. That goal no longer resonates with me.

Over the past several months my long term goal has evolved into seeking a life of increased connectivity~to people and to the universe. I want to travel, and to learn. For the time being I envision this life manifesting through a nomadic existence (more than likely via an RV or similar setup).

That is my long-term goal. In the shorter term my goal is to pay off all my consumer debts. While I am making progress in that regard, I would prefer to do so much more quickly. Minimalism has greatly enhanced my ability to meet this goal. Lowering my living expenses and my needs allows me to put more towards my dreams. Selling random stuff I have no use for also helps.

In the slightly longer term, I hope to enter semi retirement early. Generally much sooner rather than later. I'm not sure when it will happen, but I have no intention of waiting till I'm 70 to follow my dreams. Largely the achievement of this goal depends on how quickly I can renumerate my consumer debt as well as how quickly I can develop a location independent income. Admittedly, reducing my needs helps achieve this goal more quickly. I'm hoping to achieve all three goals within 10-15 years (although the debt elimination goal I hope to achieve within 3 years). 

What are your goals and how are you achieving them? Do you have any thoughts on my goals? Please comment below.

3 comments:

  1. Your goals are great ones.

    Some of which I am striving for as well. Unfortunately with medical school and the requirement to be connected with classmates and have them over for dinner and parties and being forced to buy a house, some are having to be placed on the back burner. I do try to minimize the amount of things I don't use that often. Right now there is a huge pressure for me to buy a toaster (which I don't use), a blender (have never owned one), and a coffee machine (I don't drink coffee). I've told people if they are going to insist I have such things, I am going to want one item that does multiple things and combines functions and is small enough to tuck away.

    I am also trying to reduce monthly expenses, which surprisingly since I moved, once I clear out my storage unit, my expenses become almost equal to a few months ago when I was renting a place half this size in a very bad neighbourhood. It will be reduced more once I take advantage of the huge garden space I have.

    At least part of this reduction in expenses will be to pay down principle and interest, is tax deductible, and can very easily flip into an investment property (it's really two homes in one) when it is time for me to leave. Hopefully, I can get enough money from renting the main house and the guest house to help pay down the mortgage and part of my incredibly high student loans. I am trying to get a roommate to help speed this up, then more will be able to be shuttled into my investment account. I want to be able to be free enough to move to Israel when the time is right.

    I am lucky though that all my skills are location independent and I have been taking advantage of that for eons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful goals. Debt is tricky. Sometimes it's a very bad idea (a new pair of designer jeans) and sometimes it helps you to achieve your goals more quickly and is thus a not necessarily bad idea. Taking out loans for medical school is a great idea.

      Its interesting you mention social pressures to own more stuff. I've been thinking a lot about that the past several months.

      Sounds like you have a great action plan for achieving your dreams. Much luck my friend.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete