Monday, May 9, 2016

What Is Minimalism

Minimalism is very hard to define as it looks different for every individual who self identifies as a minimalist.

For some it means post modern furniture with clean, white lines. For some it means minimal debt and living very frugally. For others it means a tiny home. For yet others it means an uncluttered life (to varying degrees). 

For me, it's an amalgamation. I live in a 557 square foot home, which I hope to downsize considerably. I own very few possessions when compared to most people and hope to cut that even further (I'd like to fit everything in my midsize sedan).I have less debt than the average American, but still way too much. I love post modern furniture, but it looks unnatural in my craftsman bungalow.

Minimalism is a process. The one thing that unites all minimalists is the concept of enough. We seek enough to live our preferred lifestyle, but no more. When you own too much, your things start owning you.

How much is enough? Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment